Derek and I had been bragging to each other (and anybody who cared enough to pretend to listen) about how well Riley seemed to be taking the whole broken arm, sleeping in a chair, not being able to take a shower thing.
We spoke too soon.
Yesterday it all hit him really hard. He didn’t want to talk about it, but we knew he was upset. It’s a situational depression, nothing that needs any intervention other than we can provide. It will lift when he’s healed and can get back to his normal routines.
However, we are making a few changes to his very mundane routine, hoping that it will help his mood …
- we are now having him come into the dining room to eat dinner with the family
- Derek got him to the dining room table today to do his homework
- we are going to make him get up and walk around a few times a day
- we are going to find him things to read so his only option isn’t staring at a TV
- we are (hopefully) going to be able to move him to the couch soon, so that he can sleep lying flatter and not sitting up (depends on what the doctor says)
Right now he’s in a brace. He goes back to the doctor tomorrow for a check-up. If the brace doesn’t work, then the other option is surgery.